9.29.2008

I love:

(inspired by Pam's blog and my waning desire to actually write paragraphs)

  • my mother
  • the heat of bodies under blankets
  • smelling baby heads
  • how small, surface impacts of deliberate love and care sometimes add up to cataclysmic, geologic transformation
  • when my dad really tries
  • coasting
  • when noise becomes music
  • climbing trees until I am high enough that I should stop, then climbing more
  • seeing my aunt cheat at cards and board games
  • kids running while holding hands because they need to share
  • the juncture that separates the pads of my cat's paws
  • hilarious misspellings
  • healing injuries with cotton balls, humor, and Band-Aids
  • absurd and unselfconscious children’s drawings
  • unrepentantly awful jokes, including Knock-Knocks
  • remembering love with a heart that’s whole
  • the way good memories tend to glow, uncorrupted by truth
  • starting a campfire using only last night’s embers, then feeding it until it doesn’t need me anymore
  • when strangers smile
  • the way sea water feels thick and coherent when you skim your hand across it
  • drinking coffee and eating oatmeal in bed
  • when anyone or anything falls asleep on me
  • camping for so long that seeing yourself in a mirror is a surprise
  • when a kid asks me about my skin and I explain it, and they go, “Oh, cool.”
  • the swirl of hair at the nape of my brother’s neck
  • bird bones

No comments: